Keys To A Healthy Lifestyle And More

Monday, October 03, 2016


As we had promised, we will be bringing newer and fresher content on The Brown Muses, and to keep the momentum going we are introducing a new category called Pep Talk, where we will talking about things which could be motivating, inspiring and fill you and us with positivity. In short, we will be giving a pep talk to our readers and even to ourselves on the days when we feel down and out.

In our very first post today, I will be sharing some very simple and positive lifestyle changes that have helped me over the recent period of time. I am someone who has battled obesity throughout my teenage and was diagnosed with hypothyroid in early 2012.

RISE EARLY IN THE MORNING:

I have always found it very hard to sleep on time at night and rise early the next morning but with time, I have been able to manage it and now for the most part (I will not lie and say that I wake up early in the morning without fail). Rising early in the morning has its own benefits, I have been able to eat a proper breakfast, workout and reach work on time while feeling fresh and energetic.

EATING PROPER MEALS ON TIME:

I cannot stress enough as to how important it is to eat proper and small meals. Since I have hypothyroid, I am advised to eat small and frequent meals to rev up metabolism and include complex carbohydrates, fibres, nuts, leafy green vegetables (cooked vegetables like broccoli, cabbage won't affect your thyroid as opposed to eating them raw), pulses etc. It's also vital to eat on time. Your breakfast should be the heaviest meal of the day and the dinner should be the lightest. Make sure you there's a gap of at least 2-3 hours between your dinner and sleep.

HYDRATION IS THE KEY:

Drinking water and keeping yourself hydrated is really important for your body (and skin), whether you have hypothyroid or not. One must drink at least 10-12 glasses of water every day. It not only helps in blood purification as water pushes out toxins in form of urine and sweat but also keeps the skin glowing and hydrated! Drinking water also helps in getting rid of water retention. You may also include flavoured water (does not mean sugar - throw in sliced lemons, strawberries etc to add a little flavour) and green tea in your routine.

PROPER SLEEP IS A MUST:

Sleeping on time actually helps in losing weight as your body is repairing itself. I make sure I am at least able to get a decent duration, that is up to 7-8 hours of sleep as it improves my energy levels, productivity, makes my skin glow and dark circles disappear in the long run. Try getting a proper night's sleep and you will notice quite a lot of changes in yourself.

EXERCISE:

I try and exercise 4-5 times a week for at least 60-70 minutes because I am trying to lose weight and I have noticed exercising not only helps me in shedding weight but also helps in making the skin glow, keeping my stress levels in check, and revving up my metabolism as I feel more energetic. Exercise kickstarts me for the day as I prefer working out in the morning. You may join a gym/yoga classes or simply go for a walk/jog/run in the morning.

SAY NO TO CAFFEINE:

I have never been addicted to caffeine, though I do like drinking coffee once in a while. But try and avoid caffeine as much as you can.  

THINKING POSITIVE: 

After going through a lot of emotional stress in last few years, I had begun thinking negatively, which I still do to date. However, I am also making an effort to add positivity to my life by including positive things in life, not over-thinking over futile things, which are not in my hand and concentrating  more about my own well-being (sounds selfish but it's necessary!).

I hope these changes will help you as much as they helped me. Let me know what lifestyle changes have helped you lately? 

Lots of love,

Deepika. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments